While we decorate our houses to “make it pretty”, comfort should still be at the core of it all. And if there’s one theme and style that brings these two together, it’s vintage “the way Gran would like it”. Here are a few ideas for making your house not just a home, but a cosy vintage one at that.
- Unpack Granny’s crocheted doilies from the trousseau kist and use them all around the house – as place mats, coasters, arm rest covers and even bunting.
- Stack old suitcases on top of one another to be used as coffee tables or end tables, or decorate them with cushions for extra seating.
- Use an assortment of old vintage tea cups as flower pots and herb planters and arrange them on the lounge or kitchen sill.
- Display a vintage collection – whether it be photo frames, mirrors or clocks – to create your very own statement wall.
- Books aren’t simply for reading. Use second-hand classics around the house for anything from table supports and pot coasters, to wall decoration and stacks of extra seating.
- Invest in a pastel coloured vintage telephone, typewriter, fan, fridge or radio – quite the conversation starter, that’s for sure!
- Never throw away an old jar again! Use old mason jars for anything from flower vases and button holders, to cookie jars and pet kibble containers.
- Collect little bone China and ceramic ornaments from antique stores and display them in interesting and unexpected places, such as on the spice rack, in between books on the book shelf or in the bathroom.
- Give one of your new pieces of furniture a vintage look by sanding it all along the edges or white washing it.
- If you can get your hands on old fashioned and slightly rusty metal advertisements and branding, mount it over the fireplace or on the kitchen wall.
For more Vintage Decor ideas for your home plus the original photos above and their credits, please make sure to check out the Vintage Decor Ideas for the Home Pinterest Board.
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!