Teenagers are renowned for not only wanting space, but needing a space to call their own. While redecorating can be expensive, a couple of DIY tricks can give your teenage daughter the room she’s always dreamed of, without shooting your budget in the foot:
- Turn a simple string of fairy lights into a flower chain, by simply cutting a small hole in the bottom of a paper cupcake cup and slipping it over each little light.
- We’re always painting the wall and ceiling, but what about the door? Allow her to paint all kinds of shapes and patterns on the bedroom door.
- Get glittery! From cell phone chargers and wooden laser cutouts, to lampshades and light switch cover – cover it all in glitter!
- Buy an affordable mosquito net and suspend it from a hook above the bed, for an instant fairytale bed.
- Make bunting out of old scraps of fabric, and use it to decorate the walls or act as make-shift headboard.
- Scour secondhand shops for clothing rails to give her room a fashionable “runway” feel.
- Magnets are ideal for organising the little things – for instance, stick a magnetic strip to the wall to hold hair pins, or frame a sheet of metal and stick magnets on the back of her make-up for easy storage.
- Every teenager needs a pin board! This will also save the walls from prestik marks.
- Give an old dresser a makeover with a simple lick of paint and some vinyl stickers.
- Coat one wall in a layer of chalkboard paint so she can really express herself.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!