In most houses, the staircase is nothing more than a practical installation that takes up space and serves no decorative purpose whatsoever. However with a dash of creativity and ingenuity, you can quickly turn this towering extra into something of a focal piece – here are some ideas to get your mind racing:
- Decorate the front-facing section of each stair with vinyl stickers or wallpaper, or use a stenciling technique to paint your favourite quotes onto the individual steps.
- Alternatively, decoupage a variety of your favourite pictures onto the front panel of the steps, turning it into a literal memory lane.
- Place a small vase, wooden letters or ornament on each step, between the down-poles of the banister so that it’s out of the way.
- Alternatively, arrange pot plants or large candles on the outer edges of the stairs, all along the wall.
- Hang decorations from the banister – for instance, fairy lights, hanging floral vases, mini Chinese lanterns or strings of beads and crystals.
- Drape a beautiful piece of fabric over the banister, the colour of which can be changed every now and again based on your mood.
- Decorate the wall that runs along the staircase with an assortment of picture frames, vinyl stickers or mirrors.
- Remove the front panel of each step and turn these nooks into mini bookshelves or storage space for other pretty trinkets.
- If the steps lead up to the kiddies’ room, why not give them creative freedom to paint it as they please?
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!