Noni, or Morinda as it’s more commonly referred to, grows throughout the South Pacific and at one point in history, was rated the most widely used medicinal plant in the region. Interestingly, this evergreen shrub-like plant grows especially well in the rich volcanic ash of Hawaii which might explain the healthy glow of the local island dwellers.
Let’s have a look at some of the many benefits of Morinda that have had the world in uproar for the past decade or six:
- Contains a mixture of anthraquinones, organic acids, terpene compounds, caproic, caprylic acids, alkaloids and xeronine.
- Packed with several vitamins such as beta-carotene, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine, as well as certain essential minerals, iron and calcium.
- Contains similar amounts of potassium as tomato- and orange juice.
- Helps boost the immune system and protect against colds and flu.
- Contains polysaccharide which helps prevent cancer and other fatal diseases.
- Assists with healthy and natural weigh management, as it helps curb hunger.
- Has calming properties which helps curb depression, insomnia and anxiety.
- Reduces cholesterol and also protects heavy smokers from cholesterol spikes.
- Prevents and reduces inflammation, infection and muscle spasms.
- Lowers blood sugar levels and stimulates the body’s glucose absorption.
- Soothes digestive problems like diarrhea, nausea and intestinal worms.
- Relieves pain, acting as a mild sedative, and reduces swelling.
- Promotes healthy, glowing skin and helps relieve acne and other skin conditions.
Do note that over-use of the Morinda supplement can have harmful side-effects, so always stick to the prescribed dosage as indicated by the label or your health professional.
Image Credit: nonsok.ru