Few things turn a house into a home like a warm fire crackling in the grate. But the reality is that fireplaces don’t always work the way they should and they are a mess to clean afterwards! So why not turn this permanent fixture into something of a decorative focal piece?
- For starters, there’s the mantle – it needn’t only be decorated with stockings at Christmas time, so here are a couple of ways to adorn this space:
- Flowers – either in vases or, if you’re in an elaborate state of mind, stunning blossoms cascading over the mantle.
- Lights in all shapes and sizes – for instance candles, lanterns or fairy lights draped over the edge.
- Ornamental elements arranged in a row: Ceramic figures, a variety of small mirrors, mini vases, and so forth. This is especially striking if the elements are similar in shape, colour or size.
- Bunting – fabric or paper flags, photos of the family, or letters spelling out your surname.
- Family pictures and gorgeous frames – what better place to display these precious memories?
If your fireplace isn’t fully functioning, it’s worth decorating that gaping mouth with something oh-so pretty to remind hubby or guests not to light up a fire in the grate. Fill it with:
- Candles, a selection of tall glass vases, hanging Chinese Lanterns or flower arrangements.
- Cover the entire mouth of the fireplace with a mirror, black board (with a quote written on it) or an enlarged photo of the whole fandamily.
- Place a large lantern or standing chandelier in the fireplace.
- For a rustic look, “board” it up with rough pieces of wood and decorate it with vines and flowers.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!