When it comes to making something out of nothing, pinwheels are a staple in most kitchens. If you’re not familiar with the humble yet delicious pinwheel, don’t stress – think crunchy pastry swirls filled with anything imaginable.
Simply roll out a piece of pre-made puff pastry and spread your filling over it (whether it be something fancy or last night’s left overs). Roll the whole thing back up carefully, slice it into little wheels (about 1.5 cm thick), pop it on a greased baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Easy peasy!
Here are some scrumptious ideas to re-invent the pinwheel time and time again:
- Meatless Monday: Spinach and cheese like feta, gruyere or camembert
- For the mature palate: Chicken, fig puree and blue cheese
- Something fishy: Tuna, chopped boiled egg and mayo
- Simply Italian: Tomato, basil and mozzarella
- Sweet ‘n savoury: Cranberry puree and brie
- Mexican mania: Leftover chilli con carne and green pepper, and served with guacamole and sour cream when done
- Take it up a notch: Ricotta with spicy chorizo and basil
- Sweet & spicy: Chicken, peppadews and cheese
- Tangy temptation: Pesto, pastrami and cream cheese
- Pizza pops: Mozzarella, salami, mushrooms and tomato
- Sweet tooth: Chocolate spread, chopped marshmallow and nuts, or chocolate chips and cream cheese
- Love your leftovers: Fill the pinwheel with bobotie, tuna salad and lasagne
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!