I don’t know many people who don’t like chocolate! But, what I do know, is that too much is not good for you, however, if opting for a healthy alternative, dark chocolate should be your first choice.
That being said, the recipe today for Date and Chocolate Balls, where dark chocolate and dates are combined to make a delicious and more nutritious treat when your sweet tooth needs it most!
- ½ x 80 g slab dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cocoa
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) low-fat milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
- 250 g pitted dates, finely chopped
- 100 ml desiccated coconut
- extra coconut and cocoa to decorate with
- Place chocolate in a glass bowl and melt over gently simmering water. Make sure that the bowl does not touch the water.
- Mix cocoa with some of the milk to form a paste and mix with remaining milk and vanilla.
- Stir some of the melted chocolate into the milk mixture until smooth.
- Mix into the warm chocolate.
- Stir in dates and coconut.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture onto baking paper and sprinkle with coconut or cocoa and allow to set. Alternatively allow to cool slightly and then roll into balls.
- Roll balls into extra coconut or cocoa, if preferred.
- Allow to cool in the fridge.
- Serve 1–2 balls as a treat.
- Serve date balls as part of a dessert with fresh fruit or serve with coffee at the end of a meal.
- If packing for a lunch box treat, make sure that it is kept in a cool place, as they may melt.
- Choose a good quality chocolate and cocoa that is low in added sugar.
- Check your food labels to make better choices and see page 12 of the booklet for more detail
This recipe has been brought to you courtesy of Cooking from the Heart
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!