Plastic bottles are one of those disposable household items of which we tend to use so much yet we never seem to reuse it in any way – not for lack of trying, one might argue, but really for lack of ideas! So let’s look at a couple of recycling projects to get your mind buzzing – be inspired:
- Snip off the top section of the bottle and place the bottom part upside down over a little plant to create a mini greenhouse that keeps water from evaporating.
- Turn water bottles into convenient carry cases for extra pens and pencils – simply decorate it and slide the writing gear through the mouth of the bottle.
- If you’re looking to paint a bottle but still want to preserve its glossy plastic sheen, pour the paint inside the bottle and shake it vigorously, as opposed to painting the outside.
- Use the bottom sections of water bottles as convenient storage and organisational containers inside your household drawers.
- With winter around the corner, you’ll be pleased to know that plastic bottles make the perfect instant hot water bottles, preserving heat long into the night. Simply fill with hot water and wrap in a blanket or towel.
- Make a piggy bank! Place the bottle on its side and use bottle caps for the feet and nose, from where you can decorate it with pieces of felt and other bits and bobs.
- Turn a bottle into a set of bracelets by cutting it into sections and wrapping each plastic bracelet in fabric.
- Slice open the side of the bottle and plant a variety of succulents in the bottle’s “belly”. Then, decorate the spout with two eyes so you have a cute little succulent-covered hedgehog for the garden.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!