It’s the season to be jolly and get your DIY gloves on! This edible gumdrop tree not only makes the perfect centre piece for the Christmas table, but the kids will love getting their hands dirty.
You will need:
- A Styrofoam cone (approximately 20 to 30cm high)
- About 3 to 4 packets of gumdrops or dome shaped jelly sweets
- Icing sugar (optional)
Let’s get building!
- Start off by opening the bags of sweets and sorting them into different bowls by colour. This is an excellent task for little people – quite educational!
- Place the cone on a cutting board or plate. You can even go as far as to create a pretty base-board for the tree with mock snow.
- Use a pair of strong scissors or pliers to cut the toothpicks in half, or break them if you’re not too worried about it being even.
- Decide whether you’re going to create a colour pattern, or decorate the tree at random.
- Push the cut end of the toothpick into the base of the gumdrop. Then, starting at the top of the cone, insert the sharp end into the cone.
- Repeat step 5, inserting the gumdrops in a ring formation and working your way down the cone, until the tree is completely covered.
- Lastly, dust the tree with icing sugar (optional) or edible glitter.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!