Pencil cases are one of the easiest holiday crafts for kids considering they don’t need too much assistance in the making thereof. This is even more true when the pencil case is made with felt since this is one fabric that doesn’t require a seam or decent stitching! Here’s a nifty step-by-step to keep little hands occupied this winter holiday:
- Felt (approximately 10 x 42 cm)
- Embroidery thread
- A needle (with a large eye for the thread to fit through)
- Fabric scissors
- A button
- Start by folding over the felt at the 15 cm mark.
- Next, use your needle and thread to stitch up the case down the length, on both two sides.
- Fold over the top section (which is about 7 cm) to form the flap.
- Make a small incision in the middle of the flap, just big enough for the button to fit through.
- Lastly, sew the button onto the pencil case so that it’s in line with the button hole.
And there you have it! From here on, you can let the little ones go mad with an assortment of decorations, for instance:
- Let them cut shapes out of a different coloured felt and glue it onto the pencil case.
- Adorn the case with more buttons of various shapes and sizes.
- Use glitter glues to make cute patterns all over the felt.
- Sew a couple of bows, beads, sequins and bells onto the case for a bit of 3D glam.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!