Today’s post is all about delighting mom and dad’s taste buds for a change! If you’re mad about Turkish delight, then perhaps it’s time to put your own twist on it and make it yourself – whether it be for your own personal treat tin or as a gift for a special friend. Here’s how:
You will need:
- Cooking spray
- 25 g powdered gelatin
- 260 ml water
- 450 g caster sugar
- 3 to 4 tsp rosewater (to taste)
- A few drops of pink or red food colouring (optional)
- 3 tbsp icing sugar + 1 tsp corn flour for dusting
To make your Turkish treats:
- Measure out the gelatine, water and rosewater and place in a large pot, mix together and then stir in the caster sugar.
- Heat the mixture slowly while stirring continuously, until the sugar and gelatine has dissolved – if you fail to do so, the delights will have a grainy almost crunchy texture.
- Once all the grains are dissolved, bring the mixture to the boil, without stirring.
- Reduce the heat and allow your Turkish delight mixture simmer for about 20 minutes before removing from the stove.
- Stir in a little bit of food colouring until the mixture turns a soft pink colour, and leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
- In the meantime, grease a square baking tin of about 20cm x 20cm.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and cover with a dishcloth or paper towel.
- Leave to set overnight at room temperature.
- Next morning, flip the baking tin over onto a cutting board and cut the delightful slab into squares with a sharp wet knife.
- Sift together the two dusting ingredients and roll your Turkish Delight blocks in it until well coated.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!