A while ago I discussed ways to sneak vegetables into your kids’ diet. Following on from that, today’s post focuses specifically on salads, and methods for making it more palatable and a meal of choice for your little ones. Here are some tips and tricks:
- Chop and the vegetables in interesting shapes! It might take a bit of time, but you can always invest in small metallic cookie cutters to get the job done.
- Add interesting ingredients like nuts, dried fruit, bacon, a bit of pasta and tortilla chips.
- Kebab it! Thread the veggies onto a kebab stick to make it more appealing.
- Turn it into a DIY meal. Instead of mixing the salad ingredients from the start, lay it out in cute little bowls or even a cupcake tray.
- Dress it up! First find a dressing your kids love. From there you can serve it up in little pouring cups or mini containers to add to the experience.
- Allow them to make choices. If they don’t like tomatoes for instance, let them choose a vegetable to replace it with.
- Make it colourful. A fun salad looks like a delicious salad!
- Ease them into it. Start off with pasta salads, and slowly replace the pasta with veggies.
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!