An empty toilet roll is one of those things that you throw away week after week, and each time you probably pause for a second thinking, “surely there’s something I can do with you?” Well, hold that thought and hang on to your roll because there’s a whole stack of ways in which this simple disposable piece of cardboard can be reinvented:
- Get the kids in tow and build a rocket or castle out of toilet paper rolls which the little ones can then populate with miniature plastic army men.
- Cover the base of the roll with a piece of cardboard and fill it with candy, crayons or even soil and a little plant.
- Make a toilet roll telescope by either sticking three toilet rolls together or using an empty kitchen towel roll and decorating it.
- Use the roll as a “body” to make all sorts of animals and creatures like butterflies, bunnies, worms, penguins, bees and so forth.
- Cut each roll into sections and turn it into serviette rings which the kids can decorate with glitter and bling.
- Use decorated toilet rolls to keep your rolled up cables neat and tidy, and easy to store.
- Pack the rolls tightly in a shoebox and use these little “partitions” to store anything from pens and beads to jewellery and odd bits.
- Toilet rolls fit perfectly around little ones’ arms which make them ideal for DIY superhero cuffs or decorated princess bracelets.
- Cover the toilet roll in peanut butter or honey and roll it in birdseeds for a lovely biodegradable birdfeeder that you can hang in the tree outside.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!