As always here on Momtrepreneur, we’re turning “recycling” into “recreating”. So before you toss that egg carton in the bin, egg shells and all, have a look at these nifty mom- and child-friendly craft ideas:
- Garden: Plant little bean stalks, herbs, succulents or easy-growing seedlings in the hollows of an egg carton – this is the ideal “incubator” to house them until they’re strong enough to be planted in the garden.
- Sorting: The handy egg compartments are ideal for sorting and storing a variety of beads, buttons, hairpins and odd bits.
- Protective Storage: The ideal safe-keeping box for all your breakable jewellery and trinkets.
- Disposable candleholders: Turn the egg carton upside down and make a small hole in the base of each compartment through which you can insert a candle.
- Floral bouquet: Turn the cups into beautifully decorated flowers by shaping the cups into petals and painting and adorning it accordingly. Attach to wire stems and voila!
- Confectionary holder: There’s nothing like the surprise of opening an egg carton and discovering mini muffins, truffles or cupcakes inside!
- Floral fairy lights: Decorate your individual egg carton cups and slip each one over a fairy light to create a whimsical string of floral lights.
- Carton critters: Turn the individual egg carton cups into insects and critters – ideal for a kiddies’ birthday party. From long multi-cup worms to friendly spiders with pipe cleaner legs – the sky’s the limit!
- Candy “eggs”: Prettify the individual cup, fill it with speckled eggs and Smarties, and top with another egg cup – perfect sealed candy favours for your next kiddies’ birthday party.
- Gift box: Decorate your egg carton and use it as a themed gift box – for instance, housing a variety sewing, scrap booking or beading bits and bobs.
- Animal noses: Paint the individual egg carton cups to look like animal noses – e.g. piggy or frog – and attach it to an elastic band which can wrap around your little one’s head.
- Animal ears: In the same way, attach two cups to an elastic band and decorate them like animal ears!
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!