Popeye might have vowed by his spinach, but it’s not a patch on kale! This newly discovered leafy vegetable has been a hot topic in health forums lately, where it’s commonly known as “the world’s healthiest food” – and rightly so! Here are just some of the many benefits packed into a luscious bunch of kale leaves:
- Very low in calories – approximately 36 calories per cup.
- Contains zero fat which makes it the ideal weight-loss food.
- High in fibre for improved digestion and a healthy tract.
- Packed with iron – in fact, it contains more than beef!
- Assists with liver function and encourages healthy cell growth.
- High in vitamin K, to prevent blood clotting and boost healthy bone growth.
- Full of essential antioxidants like carotenoids and flavonoids which for an excellent detox food.
- An excellent anti-inflammatory food to help fight arthritis and asthma.
- Packed with lutein and zeaxathin which help prevent UV rays from damaging the eyes.
- High in Omega-3 for improved brain function and development.
- Can help reduce cholesterol levels and improve cardiovascular function.
- Best sources of beta-carotene which helps prevent cancer, heart disease and age-related chronic diseases.
- Contains more calcium than milk, for strong bones and teeth and a healthy metabolism.
- Packed with Vitamin A, promoting healthy skin and metabolism.
- High in Vitamin C for a strengthened immune system.
While kale can be rather bland on its own, you can add it to health smoothies and soups, bake it into a quiche or pasta, sauté it with onions and garlic, or use it to substitute lettuce in a green salad.
Psst: Check out this Kale Smoothie Recipe packed with nutrients for you.
Image Credit: www.thekitchn.com
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!