Green smoothies are an excellent way to ensure that your family gets their essential dose of green veggies, vitamins and minerals every single day. However, convincing little ones to swap their fizzy drink for a green juice might be easier said than done. So let’s look at 8 quick tips to get them into the habit of sipping on the good stuff:
- Ease them into it: Start off with kiddie-friendly options like traditional fruit or yogurt smoothies, and then gradually add a little more of the green goodies with each smoothie you make.
- Lead by example: Be the first of the family to add green smoothies to your daily diet and, once the kids have gotten used to the idea, encourage them to join you in your healthy endeavour.
- Keep it simple: Don’t go straight for the hardcore greens – keep it low-key with kale and baby spinach as these taste somewhat milder and are easier to get used to.
- Make it a game: Seeing who can finish their smoothie the fastest is not only a great way of getting them to drink it all, but also gets hubby off to work in time!
- Think of a name: Challenge the kids to come up with a fun name for your daily smoothie – whether it be a character like “the Green Gremlin” or a power name like “Jumpstart Juice”.
- Serve it in a fun way: Forget about boring glasses – why not invest in quirky cups or funny straws to make the green smoothie a bit more interesting?
- Add a pop of colour: Making the smoothie look more appetising is a surefire way of getting their tastebuds buzzing. Garnish the smoothie with sliced fruit, an umbrella, a fruit skewer or some whipped cream.
- Make it a DIY-project: Preparing the smoothie is half the fun, so rope in the kids to help you choose the ingredients, chop the veggies and churn up the green juice.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!