Picnics are such a part of family life. Whether it be a full-blown riverside picnic with the entire extended family, a garden party with friends, romantic picnic for two underneath the stars or a make-believe tea party in the garden with the girls, picnics are always bundles of fun and give us moms a chance to really get creative. Here are a couple of outdoor ideas to get you on-track for a festive outdoor affair.
- Instead of a gazebo or tacky beach umbrella, set up your very own tee-pee tent. While they’re excellent for a kids’ picnic, they also come in stylish white netting which is ideal for a more mature affair.
- Brighten up the area with pretty scatter cushions and a comfy hammock.
- String bunting in the trees or hang a number of Chinese lantern from the branches. When night time falls, light these up or decorate the trees with fairy lights.
- Use interesting containers in which to pack the food, such as Chinese take-out boxes, Mason jars, old wooden crates and decorated brown paper bags.
- Keep the drinks cold in a big tupperware container, old enamel basin or half a wine barrel that’s filled with ice.
- Bring out the child in every one of your guests with big pails of marshmallows, toffee apples and other proper picnic treats.
- Write the “menu” on a little black board and prop it up against a tree trunk.
- Use interesting decorations such as buckets of freshly picked flowers, stacks of old and interesting books or jars of treats to anchor the corners of the blankets.
- Instead of sitting down-low on a picnic blanket, mount an old door on a couple of crates with cushions on either side to serve as a picnic table.
- Pack plenty of board games to play on the river bank or wherever you choose to lay your picnic blanket.
- Serve fresh ice teas, cocktails and lemonade in glass jars with quirky straws.
- Mount twirly pin wheels on sticks and plant them around the picnic area as decoration.
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!