Stamps are simply wonderful for anything from making your own cards and decorating scatter cushions to printing wrapping paper and personalising a piece of clothing with fabric paint. But gosh, they’re expensive! So why not make your own?
You will need:
- Thick durable string
- Wood glue or superglue
- Craft paint (optional)
- Small wooden block at least 2cm thick and size of your choice
- Permanent marker
Now to make your stamp:
- Use the sandpaper to smooth the edges of the wooden block so it won’t hurt your hand when stamping.
- Step 2 is optional – paint the block in a colour of your choice, simply to make it pretty!
- Start off by drawing your stamp pattern onto the wooden block with a pencil. Remember to choose a simple pattern that you can easily create with string.
- Once you’ve designed your stamp pattern, lay your string onto the design to measure and cut the lengths you’ll need.
- Set the string aside and draw lines of glue onto the wooden block, following your pattern lines.
- Carefully lay the string onto the glue and press it down to stick. Leave your stamp to dry overnight.
- Lastly, use your permanent marker to draw a replica of the stamp pattern on the back so that you can easily identify it when it’s sitting in a box with your other homemade stamps – because you’ll be making a lot of these!
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!