Chia is not only fun to say but these tiny seeds do wonders for body and mind too! The fabulous chia see boasts a multitude of incredible benefits and consuming even a single teaspoon a day can make the world of difference to your overall wellbeing. Simply sprinkle it over cereal or oats, add it to your morning smoothie, include it in bread or muffin recipes, or add it to salads or soups.
One of the more interesting ways to include chia seeds in your diet is as an egg replacer in recipes – 1 tablespoon of chia seeds + 3 tablespoons of water = 1 egg. Allow the mixture to sit for about 15 minutes to obtain the gel-like texture of an egg, and then add it to the mix. Here are just some of the many benefits you can expect:
- Helps slow digestion to ultimately combat diabetes and prevent blood sugar spikes.
- Prevents insulin resistance and as a result, fights belly fat.
- Packed with fibre for even greater digestive health benefits.
- Brimming with Omega-3 fatty acids which help improve brain function, focus and mental activity.
- High in calcium and phosphorous for stronger, healthier bones and teeth.
- Excellent source of antioxidants, protecting the body against free radicals and cancer.
- Helps you feel fuller and more satisfied for longer.
- 100% gluten free!
- Contains high levels of iron – almost three times more than spinach.
- High in protein which makes it an excellent addition to a vegan or vegetarian diet. In fact, chia seeds contain eight times the protein of salmon!
- Cholesterol-free for a healthy and happy heart.
- Promotes healthy nails and hair, and glowing skin.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!