In some respects, back-to-school time is a happy time of year – the kids’ productivity gets a much needed boost and world order is restored. However it can also be quite a chaotic season for the working mom, getting the kids back into routine and getting yourself into the swing of things. Here are a couple of tips to organise their (and your) lives:
- Stick a magnet on the back of seven washing pegs and write the days of the week on each of them. These can then go onto the fridge, holding to-do lists and teacher’s notes that need attention on each individual day.
- Hang a hook with each child’s name or initials on it by the front door, and get them into the habit of hooking their backpacks onto it the night before – packed and ready to go.
- In the same way, have each child decorate a clothes hanger which for their school uniform – having all the bits and bobs on one hanger the night before will reduce morning madness.
- Organise their lunchboxes by having a weekly plan in place to eliminate the extra worry of what to pack – for instance, Monday is health roll and yogurt day, while Tuesday is all about crackers and fruit skewers.
- Use the compartments in a shoe storage hanger as a handy organiser for notes, stationery, socks and other what-nots.
- When it comes to book coverings, choose a different coloured gift wrap for your child’s respective subjects to help him/her stay organised.
- Let younger children label everything in their rooms – not just for the sake of organising, but to boost their spelling and grammar.
- Paint one wall in each child’s bedroom with blackboard paint – what they use it for is really up to them, from drawing up to-do lists to practicing their math.
- Keep your kiddies motivated by choosing a daily or weekly quote for the family to live by which can be displayed on the fridge or popped into their lunchboxes.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!