Facials are a fabulous treat, but let’s face it – as a committed wife, mother, doctor, teacher, housekeeper, business woman, gardener, etcetera, etcetera, there’s hardly time for a cup of tea, let alone an hour with your feet up at the beauty parlour. But lo and behold! You’ve got an entire beauty salon right in your very own home, also known as The Kitchen. Below is a list of just some of the many kitchen ingredients with magical dermalogical benefits. Mix them up and play around with the combinations until you find your miracle facial – delicious in more ways than one!
- Plain Greek Yogurt: An excellent nourishing base for a homemade lotion. See “milk” for added benefits.
- Sugar/Salt: Exfoliates and disinfects skin.
- Hot Water: The steam will open pores to allow the treatment to take effect.
- Olive Oil: Rich in antioxidants that repair and renew damaged skin, while also firming and smoothing skin. An excellent cleanser.
- Oatmeal: Natural exfoliator. Soothes, moisturises and softens skin. Prevents dry skin in winter and has anti-inflammatory properties which relieve skin irritation.
- Avocado: Rich in collagen that moisturises and softens skin. Repairs sun damage, age spots and scars.
- Papaya: Exfoliates by dissolving dead skin cells. Antibacterial properties help fight skin infection and breakouts.
- Cucumber: Contains Vitamin C, Silica and Caffeic Acid to soothe irritation and reduce swelling, as well as build tissue and restore the pH balance of your skin.
- Strawberries: Exfoliate, brighten, cleanse and refresh the skin, removing impurities and assisting in cell generation.
- Milk: Exfoliates, soothes and moisturises skin. Milk also contains a number of vitamins and minerals that are great for your skin.
- Vodka: Brightens dull skin (and puts a smile on your face after a long day!)
- Egg Whites: Brightens and firms skin.
- Baking Soda: Natural exfoliator that’s course enough to get the job done but still fine enough not to damage skin. Add a pinch to your cleanser once a week for radiant skin.
- Coconut Oil: Moisturises and repairs skin, while also protecting from the sun. Has anti-aging properties and is an excellent massage oil.
- Ice: Reduces signs of swelling, blemishes and pimples.
- Honey: Has antibacterial, anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties. Softens and soothes irritated skin as well as sun burns.
- Banana: Natural Botox! Plumps and revitalises skin.
- Vinegar: One of the very first (and most effective) toners.
- Lemon: Cleanses skin and reduces large pores. Great for oily and blemish-prone skin.
- Green Tea: Reduces signs of swelling while relaxing and refreshing your skin. Use as skin toner and on tired and weary eyes.
- Exfoliate: Oatmeal + Honey + Olive Oil
- Cleanse: Olive Oil + Yogurt + Lemon Juice
- Brighten: Honey + Lemon Juice + Yogurt
- Moisturising Mask: Avocado + Egg White + Honey
- Soothing: Yogurt + Mashed Cucumber
- Lift: Banana + Yogurt + Lemon Juice
- Sunburnt Skin: Oatmeal + Milk + Vinegar + Baking Soda
- For Oily Skin: Strawberries + Lemon Juice + Baking Soda
Now you try!
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!