If you love a delicious bread, this is a focaccia bread that is perfect for any lunch or dinner. This focaccia is perfect for a barbeque or braai that can be served as a pre-mail snack or with the main meal – you choose!
- 4c (1 kg) cake flour
- 1 (10 g) packet instant yeast
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 2 t (10 ml) salt
- 1 t (5 ml) dried rosemary
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1½ c (300-375 ml) warm water
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) Clover Springbok butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1t (5 ml) sugar
- 1t (5 ml) dried rosemary
- salt and milled black pepper
- ½ c (125 ml) cubed Clover feta cheese, olive oil, to drizzle
- Place the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and rosemary into the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Add the oil and just enough warm water to bring the mixture together on a low speed.
- Knead, using the dough hook, for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place to rise for 45-60 minutes.
- Knock back the dough and divide into two bowls. Roll out the dough on to a floured surface, into two oval shapes.
- Place on a greased baking tray.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave the dough to rise for 25-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Use the handle of a wooden spoon to push indents into the top of the dough and top with the feta cheese, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. In the last 5 minutes of cooking time, top the focaccia with the caramelized onions and bake until golden and crispy.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a pan and gently fry the onions over a low heat for 12-15 minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic, sugar and rosemary and cook for 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside to cool.
Credit: This recipe is a recipe featured in the book “Braai, the beloved country!” brought to you by Clover. For more info on the book and it’s recipes, please check it out here. One of the great aspects of the cook book (apart from the delicious recipes!) is that a percentage of the book’s profits will be donated to the Clover Mama Afrika project.
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!