Coconut water, coconut flesh, dried coconut and even coconut oil are all products of the wonderfully exotic fruit known as, well, coconut. If you’ve ever found yourself standing in the fresh produce aisle, holding one of these hairy fruits in your hand and contemplating whether or not to put it in the trolley, here are just 10 of the many reasons why you should:
- In terms of vitamin and mineral content, coconut is an excellent source of manganese, protein, iron, phosphorus and potassium, all vital for bodily function.
- By eating plenty of this unusual fruit, your skin should become noticeable smoother and softer in the long run, as coconut is a known anti-wrinkle ambassador.
- Coconut helps fight dandruff, when eaten or worked into the scalp, and ultimately ensures smooth and shiny hair.
- The coconut meat contains lauric acid and other valuable nutrients which have antibacterial, antiviral and antiprotozoal benefits, helping to bolster your immune system and fight disease.
- Coconut water is an excellent detoxifier! Aside from promoting kidney function, it helps treat constipation, ulcers and other digestive and stomach ailments.
- Research shows that this wonder food can boost thyroid function by up to 20%, which ultimately helps boost the metabolism and promotes weight-loss.
- A popular use for coconut water is as a hangover cure, as it contains all the nutrients your body is craving after a long night on the town.
- Coconut oil is great for cooking, adding a delightful flavour to your fare while also remaining stable at high temperatures.
- This miracle fruit is high in digestive fibre and has a low glycemic index, ultimately improving digestion, providing an instant energy boost and fighting sweet cravings.
- Add coconut water and oil to your beauty regime! Applying either of these ingredients into your skin can do wonders – from revitalising dry skin to remedying acne and exfoliating the skin.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!