Have you ever been to a place that when you arrived, you just know you’re in for an incredible stay? Well, I had that exact experience recently when visiting an establishment hidden away in the Botrivier valley called KolKol Mountain Lodge.
KolKol may be a hidden away gem, but is well known by many both locally and internationally. To get a booking to stay at the establishment in one of their beautiful cabins can be tricky, but worth the wait and it’s KID FRIENDLY, so it’s one to add to your list of “must stays” in the Cape.
You know in some American movies, you often see the characters visit ski resorts where they stay in these incredible wooden cabins where it’s snug and just looks absolutely amazing? KolKol is just like that, except it’s not a snow destination – instead, you are surrounded by a forest-like area on the one side and on the other, spectacular views of the Botrivier Valley.
The kitchen is practically setup – everything is easy to find and relatively spacious. We had everything we needed (including a jar full of rusks which are my weakness!). With little ones, I was pleased to be able to make use of some non-glass cups to prevent any breakage.
There was a pizza oven to make your own pizzas – had we stayed at the venue for 1 or 2 nights longer, we would have tried our hand at making home-made pizzas.
While the kids played in the wood heated pool, my friend, Suzaan and I drank our cocktails and watched the sun go down while the men impressed us with their boma braai (BBQ) skills. Given the cabin offered a bar area, we were sure to rustle up a few cocktails to enjoy during the sunset time.
After dinner, the heavens opened, so after putting kids to bed, we lit a fire in the lounge area and chatted up a storm before heading to our snug and comfy beds!
There were 2 bedrooms – both with Queen size beds and both were en-suite. There was also a loft area with 4 beds – the kids slept there (they were terribly excited!). There were 2 other beds to the right of the cabin’s entrance close to the guest bathroom that was also available.
All beds were super comfy and the 2 bedrooms had a different décor style which I thought was a really nice touch.
There is a lot to take in and plenty of opportunity to hike in every direction. The drive to the venue is a scenic drive and you are sure to catch a glimpse of different animals as you pass the various farms.
Other activities other than vegging in the warm pool on the deck include:
- Mountain Biking
- Swimming in the dam
- Wine Tasting at Beaumont Wines
- Try your hand at making your own pizza (yes, the cabin has a pizza oven included!)
- Trail hikes
- Games (provided by venue)
We arrived at the venue at 3pm, unpacked and kids headed straight for the heated pool. Had we spent a few more days at KolKol other than one night, we would have definitely done some other activities, but the heated pool was a hit. We also played Boules on the lawn and did some dancing on a chess-like looking area which we assumed would be the perfect dance spot.
The venue is, honestly, stunning and I really can’t fault it at all. The woodwork of the cabin from the door to the stairs to the lounge table is exceptional.
We stayed in the King Cabin which sleeps 10 and even with all our bags and paraphernalia, the cabin didn’t feel cramped at all.
- We arrived a little earlier than check in and despite that, we received a very friendly welcome from Jonathan & his team.
- Beds, couches & chairs were all in excellent condition and comfortable.
- As mentioned above, the woodwork gives the cabin a very snug and warm feel. I thought the décor was simple, but just perfect for the atmosphere we experienced.
- Tea & coffee were provided as well as milk, some eggs and a jar of rusks PLUS a few Ferro roche which were enjoyed after dinner to wind down.
- Cellphone reception isn’t great – I have listed it as a pro as you get to really switch off and enjoy your surroundings.
- There’s no wifi included which is something we are used to when visiting places. Again, I list this as a pro because if you visit a place like KolKol, you want to take it in and experience it properly and not be distracted by ping ping of Facebook, Whatsapps and / or emails.
- Massive supply of wood – before heading to KolKol, I wasn’t sure if we should take some wood for the pool, the pizza oven and / or fireplace. I ran out of time when packing to get wood in the car, but when I got there, I was glad I hadn’t packed. There was no shortage of wood at all, so more space for luggage in the car.
- A photographer’s dream – we got some amazing photos of the area and the cabin and valley makes for a beautiful backdrop for photos.
- Amazing views and spectacular setting – you won’t want to leave. My kids were so disappointed we left.
- You will relax – the wood heated pool relaxes you to the core. Between the pool and the overall atmosphere, you are sure to relax.
- There is no wifi and cellphone reception isn’t great. As I mentioned above, I put this as a pro (explained above), but for some, it may be a con.
- The ostriches were a little strange. 🤣 There was a male and female ostrich in the field in front of the cabin. When my husband went to take a close-up photo of them, the male ostrich took took a fancy to him and proceeded to do a mating dance which my husband politely declined…. understandably (photo of ostrich midway through mating dance above).
If you are looking to get away to somewhere not too far outside of Cape Town, away from the busy city, KolKol is a must! The King Cabin is perfect for 2 families to get away and the perfect place to create some memories for your family and amongst friends.
It could also work well as a place to host an intimate event with the dance floor I mentioned.
And, for honeymoon couples, this is the perfect getaway option!
For everything you need to know about KolKol including other cabins available, check out their website.
Join the List
Subscribe to our mailing list and stay informed on what's happening on MomTalk!